A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first
prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair on April 26. He was attempting to show how
conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of
everything in our environment.
In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total
elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good
reasons, since it:
1. causes excessive sweating and vomiting
2. is a major component in acid rain
3. causes severe burns in its gaseous state
4. can be fatal if inhaled
5. contributes to erosion
6. decreases the effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were
undecided, and only one knew what the chemical was.
Water! The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"
He feels the conclusion is obvious.